Saturday, May 1, 2010

Scurvy on Madeleine

My crew have been spending so much time ashore on Fatu-hiva (ile Madeleine); I had to go check out what's under the cliffs - Back in the trash bag for a trip ashore. This island is covered with fruit trees, and I stuffed myself. From a pamplemousse tree I watched the yachties and locals play a game of extreme frisbee, very entertaining. I woke up under a full moon many noddies flying above the coconut trees. At sunrise lorikeets came squawking in my ears. Up by the cliffs tropic birds were circling. I was in contemplation of this beautiful nature ready to jump ship to live the life of Ratbinson, when I saw the Silver Lining leaving the anchorage.

Panic took me. They had talked of going to the other village on the island in a few days, but only a day had gone by. They sure change their minds fast. I jumped on a goat. Hanging between the horns I rode over the hills jumping over precipices, running along vertical cliff faces. The goat knew the way around the deep valleys and ridges. One ridge was over two thousand feet in the clouds under fern trees before we headed back down thru a forest of mango trees. Finally we found the Silver Lining crew and their friends swimming in a mountain stream. Back safe in the pack I found fresh baguettes limes and guavas, a little disappointing after the pie, but fresh warm baguettes are not bad and I heard Margo say guava has lots of antioxidants; after that sunburn I have to be extra careful.

-Scurvy-

No comments:

Post a Comment