Saturday, December 11, 2010

Marine Biologist

It was a beautiful afternoon on the Tasman sea, a hundred miles southwest of Cape Maria VanDiemen. As I was admiring the flight of a very large albatross, a humongous whale surfaced not far up wind. The stench of it engulfed us as the spray fell on us. The sperm whale has only one blow hole toward the front of it's massive head. The head is about a third of the body. It's eyes are ridiculously small. A blink from Moby, a wave of the tail, and it was gone.

Silence again.

A little later Logan spotted two more doing some synchronized swimming, no matter how big, they are graceful swimmers, the waltz of the sperm lasted only a few minutes at the surface, but undoubtedly it continued a mile deeper.

Silence again.

when another one surfaced Logan talked about how some scientists use a radio controlled helicopters to collect DNA from the spout of a whale. Kennan complained that his helicopter was out of service. Logan, Q-tip in hand, was bummed. The whale lifted it's tail and followed the others down into the grand blue ocean.

A short silence.

This time a whale twice the size of the others, the bull of the pod presumably, surfaced at a ninety  degree angle to us, just off our starboard bow. Captain Fraingck grabbed the q-tip, shoved it in my mouth, and threw me over the bow onto the leviathan. The landing was not graceful but I made it. Logan screamed: "Go get the sample scurvy, go!"

I was right on the spout, q-tip in paw, when the monster took in a great gulp of air. Well you guessed it, the little rat was inhaled by the big monster.

It was dark in there, and the descent into the abyss was vertical, and long - very, very long. I heard the whale clacking; he was echo-locating his squiddy prey.  A loud snapping of the jaw was followed by the start of a slow ascent. Twenty minutes later, the whale surfaced, and I was blown thirty feet in the air. From up there I saw Silver Lining making circles. I landed not too far from a life buoy that was adrift. The inscription on the life ring said Arctic Chieftain, Freemantle. I was safe. the boys found me soon. I had lost the q-tip but I was covered with whale snot.
Logan said: "Where do we send our sample now?"
Captain Fraingck answered:"Go wash your rat!"


Scurvy

No comments:

Post a Comment