Friday, June 4, 2010

EIGHTY-TWO HOURS IN HELL!


I met some very nice rats in the ruins of the valley of Hatiheu. They told me of the ancient time, when there was plenty of leftovers to go around. Those rats stayed on their sacred ground longing for the old days. There are still mangoes, bread-fruits and coconuts enough for all, but they hadn't had a pig roast in a long time. There are still a few human bones to chew - but the flesh is long gone.
BEH BEH BEH!!!!!! Those goats drove me nuts all day from morning to night they BEHHHH. In the evening they climbed a rock spire so they could sleep closest to the statue of the Virgin Mary. Scaredy goats! Then we pulled up anchor for:
EIGHTY TWO HOURS IN HELL!
Or was it purgatory? Slam-Bam Slam bam bam slam bam slam slam bam etcetera...540 nautical miles of it! Can't they slow that boat down a bit? But then we sailed in the lee of this magnificent island; white sandy beaches forever, and coconut trees forever – no mountains, no goats. You can sail around and around 'cause the island is all round. Then we got into an inner lagoon thru a furious pass with currents raging creating whirlpools and rapids. Some kids ashore laughed, waved and shouted at us, "Goodbye! you're being flushed down a giant toilet you turds!" Well I don’t actually speak Puamotu, but I’d bet money that’s what they were saying.
We survived thanks to Capt'n Fraingck's skills. Margo says it was dumb luck. After anchoring south of the village, it was a bumpy night. The wind kept blowing squall after squall on us. In the morning we left our little piece of protective reef for the other side of the lagoon where a giant reef provided better protection. I was the first ashore and I stuffed myself with delicious coconuts, but there are some serious holes under those coconut trees. I'm not sure what mined such caverns - anyway, I won't be here at night to find out who the diggers are.
Good bye from a little rat in paradise.
~Scurvy~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment